FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- The Army psychiatrist charged in the fatal Fort Hood shooting rampage will be barred from the courtroom during his pretrial hearing Tuesday if he hasn't shaved his beard and will be forced to watch the proceedings on closed-circuit television.
|I have a better idea. Cut off his beard and his head.|
Maj. Nidal Hasan surprised the judge earlier this month when he appeared in court with a beard, which violates Army regulations. The judge, who has the power to bar defendants from court for such violations, issued the order and postponed the hearing until Tuesday.
Hasan had been clean-shaven in all other court appearances since the 2009 attack, which killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others on the sprawling Texas military post about 125 miles southwest of Fort Worth.
Fort Hood officials wouldn't say Monday whether Hasan would be charged if he shows up unshaven.
One possible charge is failure to obey a lawful order or regulation, which carries a maximum two-year jail sentence.
Read rest here...
FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) -- A judge has barred an Army psychiatrist charged in a deadly shooting rampage at Fort Hood from military court because he still has a beard.
Maj. Nidal Hasan was told Tuesday that he couldn't attend any more hearings unless he shaves. The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, initially warned Hasan that he was violating Army policy at a hearing earlier this month.
Hasan was removed from court and was to watch the rest of Tuesday's proceedings on closed-circuit television from a nearby room.
Lead defense attorney Lt. Col. Kris Poppe says Hasan grew the beard as a "deeply sincere" expression of his Islamic faith and because he has a premonition he will die soon.